PeopleSoft 9.2 delivers a new way to process manager self-service transactions called Guided Self-Service. This is a framework under which various MSS transactions, such as promotion, transfers etc., can be configured in a wizard-like approach. This way of processing HR transactions removes the emphasis on screens and navigations and puts the emphasis on business processes.
The functionality was first introduced in Image 9 and since then has been constantly improved. There are a number of benefits that Guided Self-Service offers over traditional manager self-service.
- It is developed using Fluid architecture so it delivers a great user experience, irrespective of the device being used. For self-service transactions, this is a must-have feature.
- It is configurable to show or hide various personal and job information details. This is extremely useful when organizations do not want certain information visible to employees.
- It is configured to use specific action/reason (instead of showing the entire list of reason codes to employees or adding customizations). There is also a provision to add custom reasons that are not part of Job data. I would not recommend this in most of the circumstances except where the organization wants to collect more finely detailed reasons but does not want to maintain them on the job.
- Multiple steps can be performed as part of the same transaction. For example, a promotion transaction can supplement a pay change and full/part status change. The steps are configurable.
- It fully supports Approval Workflow Engine (AWE). Different transactions can be configured for different approvals paths.
- Oracle delivers the following business processes that can be modified:
- Change Full / Part Time Status
- Demote Employee
- Promote Employee
- Request Ad Hoc Salary Change
- Request Location Change (Image 14)
- Request Leave of Absence (used for unpaid leaves of absence) (Image 21)
- Request Paid Leave of Absence (Image 21)
- Request Reporting Change (Image 14)
- Retire Employee
- Terminate Employee
- Transfer Employee
- Organizations can create and register their own business processes.
- For position-managed organizations, the functionality updates position data when location or reports-to transactions are processed.
- It fully supports text catalogs, related actions and simplified analytics.
- In Image 20, the functionality has been extended to provide attachment functionality. Now managers can attach documents at the initiation of the transaction.
- In Image 21, the functionality has been extended to provide paid leave of absence.
- On the administrative side, the functionality allows automatic job updates.
There are various other features and functions that are offered through Guided Self-Service. Click below to access the Video Feature Overview (VFO) of the functionality from Oracle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCjjvmws7w
If you are thinking about service delivery optimization and business process improvement, keep Guided Self-Service on your radar. Oracle is going to stop support for traditional manager self-service by the end of this year and will only support Guided Self-Service. Click below to access Oracle statement of direction. https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/SearchDocDisplay?_adf.ctrl-state=9e9gpwche_9&_afrLoop=563366102330204
As always – if you have any questions regarding Guided Self-Service or any other PeopleSoft questions do not hesitate to contact us.