Today, we’ll get into some PeopleSoft Benefits Administration nerdery.
Frequently, the delivered functionality of the PeopleSoft setup tables and the Benefits Administration process (don’t you just love COBOL?) can’t handle every aspect of the new-hire processing requirements. One common issue is that employees are given 30 days to enroll, while all the benefits become effective immediately.
Here’s the scenario:
- All benefits effective as of hire date
- Employees 30 days to enroll
- Payroll runs bi-weekly
- Leave accruals are based on hours worked and processed biweekly
Enrollment in leave plans tied to HIR Event which might not be finalized for 30 days or more. Payroll could run twice prior to HIR being finalized, resulting in leave plan accruals not being triggered.
Therefore: leave accruals/balances will have to be manually adjusted.
Here is an easy solution:
1. Add IMM Event Class to the Event Class table, assign a higher priority than the HIR event.
2. Insert IMM row to the appropriate Event Rules (open only leave plans).
3. Create Custom Process that inserts IMM trigger in BAS Activity table. This looks like:
Custom Process – Functional Spec:
For any record in BAS_ ACTIVITY:
- where BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ACTION = HIR, and where
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ACTION_SOURCE = MJ or TJ, and where
- no IMM row exists in BAS_ACTIVITY or BAS_PARTIC for employee/effective date
Insert a row to BAS_ACTIVITY as follows:
- BAS_ACTIVITY.EMPLID = BAS_ACTIVITY.EMPLID
- BAS_ACTIVITY.EMPL_RCD = BAS_ACTIVITY. EMPL_RCD
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ACTION_SOURCE = ME
- BAS_ACTIVITY.EVENT_DT = BAS_ACTIVITY. EVENT_DT
- BAS_ACTIVITY.EVENT_EFFSEQ = BAS_ACTIVITY. EVENT_EFFSEQ
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ACTION = IMM
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BENEFIT_RCD_NBR = BAS_ACTIVITY.BENEFIT_RCD_NBR
- BAS_ACTIVITY.COBRA_ACTION = BAS_ACTIVITY.COBRA_ACTION
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ALL_JOBS = BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_ALL_JOBS
- BAS_ACTIVITY.BAS_SUPPRESS_FORMS = S
4. Schedule Custom Process to always run prior to nightly Ben Admin runs.
5. Always run this process manually before manually running Ben Admin.
And that’s it. So many organizations need this, yet the problem is out there en masse. Hope this is helpful.
If you have any other questions about this or anything related to PeopleSoft Benefits Administration — whether you’re looking at a project big or small — please email me and I’ll be glad to help.
MIPRO Consulting is a nationally-recognized consulting firm specializing in PeopleSoft Enterprise (particularly Enterprise Asset Management), Workday and Business Intelligence. You’re reading MIPRO Unfiltered, its blog. If you’d like to contact MIPRO, email is a great place to start, or you can easily jump over to its main website. If you’d like to see what MIPRO offers via Twitter or Facebook, we’d love to have you.
More PeopleSoft posts.Tags: benefits administration, customization, ERP, HRIS, human resources, mipro consulting, oracle, PeopleSoft, peoplesoft consulting Posted by